The reasons for not going ahead included:
- There was no justification for an increased fee
- People would be deterred from seeking a divorce if the fee went up
- Courts shouldn’t make further profits out of the breakdown of marriages.
- If the costs were higher, more people would stay in violent or unhappy marriages
- It could discriminate against women - more women than men seek a divorce so higher fees would have a disproportionate impact on women.
- Recent reforms to fee remissions mean that fewer people qualify so more would struggle to pay the fee.
Sadly though, the fee isn’t going down - the Ministry of Justice said that a decrease couldn’t be justified “in the current financial climate”.
At least it’s not going up!